Information for Defaulted Borrowers

What is "default?"

If you become 270 days or more delinquent on your federal student loan, your loan will be in default. Unfortunately, there are consequences that come with defaulting on your loan.

How can I remove my loan from default?

You have several options if you have a defaulted student loan:

Talk with your guaranty agency or loan holder to determine which option is best for you. If your guaranty agency is the MDHE, you may contact us at (800) 473-6757. Or, if your loan has been assigned to one of the MDHE's collection agencies, you may contact that agency directly.

You may also wish to review the MDHE's publication, Help for Defaulted Borrowers for more helpful advice.

Authorization for Release of Information

If you would like to give the MDHE permission to speak with another individual regarding your defaulted student loan account, you must complete the Authorization for Release of Information Form. Complete this form and return it to the MDHE via mail or fax:

Missouri Department of Higher Education
P.O. Box 1469
Jefferson City, MO 65102-1469

Fax: (573) 526-0685

The MDHE will not accept emailed attachments of this form.

If I am in default, can I return to school and receive additional federal financial aid?

It is possible, after satisfactory payment requirements have been met, to: