Grants and Scholarships FAQs

Q. Can grants and scholarships be renewed?

A. Renewing a grant or scholarship depends on the type of grant or scholarship.

Bright Flight - Yes. The student must receive the scholarship award as a full time student at an approved Missouri institution at least one semester per academic year to maintain eligibility. If a student goes out-of-state to school for one year or discontinues full time enrollment at a Missouri institution for reasons other than deferments, the eligibility is lost. The scholarship is renewable for up to 10 semesters or until the student has obtained their first undergraduate degree. The award is $1,000 per semester.

Marguerite Ross Barnett - Yes. The student must reapply each year by submitting a completed application by April 1. Renewal students will receive a renewal application.

Public Service Officer Survivor Grant - Yes. The student must reapply each year.

Vietnam Veteran's Survivor Grant - Yes. The student must reapply each year.

(back to top)

Q. How can I find scholarships?

A. Many institutions, private companies, foundations, and non-profit organizations offer scholarships. Search for scholarships online and contact your high school counselor or the financial aid office where you think you may want to attend school to find out what scholarships are available that you may qualify for.

(back to top)

Q. How can I transfer my Bright Flight scholarship to another school?

A. The student notifies the MDHE and a letter is generated to the student and to the new school notifying them of this change.

(back to top)

Q. How do I get a deferment on my Bright Flight eligibility?

A. The student should submit a letter and documentation of deferment request to the MDHE for review. The MDHE will then send back a letter and deferment form.

(back to top)

Q. How much in state student financial assistance was awarded and to how many students in fiscal year 2005?

A. In fiscal year 2005, $40,366,787 in state student financial assistance was awarded to 25,034 students

(back to top)

Q. What grants and scholarships are available through the MDHE and how do I apply?

A. Missouri Higher Education Academic "Bright Flight" Scholarship Program
For high school seniors who achieve a score in the top 3 percent on the ACT or SAT. Students must achieve this score by the June assessment date of their senior year in high school and enroll as a first-time student in college. There is no paper application to complete. Assessment records for Missouri residents are transmitted to the MDHE after each National Assessment Test date. Students are sent an approval letter. High schools and higher education institutions are also notified of approved students.

Marguerite Ross Barnett Memorial Scholarship Program
For part-time college students attending at least half time but less than full time and working (and compensated for) at least 20 hours a week. Students must also have financial need to receive the award. Applications can be obtained from college financial aid offices or the MDHE. The application deadline is April 1. Applicants must also complete the FAFSA form by the April 1 deadline.

Public Service Officer or Employee's Child Survivor Grant Program
For dependent children and spouses of public safety officers or employees of the Missouri Department of Transportation who were killed or permanently disabled in the line of duty. Applications are available from the MDHE.

Vietnam Veteran's Survivor Grant Program
For children and spouses of Vietnam veterans whose death were attributed or caused by exposure to toxic chemicals during the Vietnam conflict. Applications are available from the MDHE.

(back to top)

Q. What is a scholarship?

A. A scholarship is a gift of money for an individual to apply toward a college education. Scholarships do not have to be paid back.

(back to top)

Q. When are the applications available for the Marguerite Ross Barnett scholarship?

A. The MDHE recommends students contact their financial aid office or the MDHE in early spring. The preferred deadline is April 1. Students can continue to submit applications after the deadline. These late applications will be awarded on an availability-only basis.

(back to top)