These grants are available annually to children and spouses of Veterans whose deaths or injuries were: a result of combat action or were attributed to an illness that was contracted while serving in combat action, or who became 80% disabled as a result of injuries or accidents sustained in combat action since September 11, 2001. The total number of veterans that may receive a grant in any year is limited by statute to 25. The veteran must have been a Missouri resident when first entering the military service or at the time of death or injury. The Missouri Veteran’s Commission determines whether the veteran meets the program’s requirements.

Am I eligible?

To be eligible for assistance, you must meet the following eligibility requirements at the time of application and throughout the period in which you receive the award.

Initial Students

Be a United States citizen, permanent resident, or otherwise lawfully present in the United States.

Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment at least half-time as an undergraduate student in a participating public college or university.

Be the veteran’s spouse at the time of death or injury or within five years subsequent to the injury.

Be the veteran's child (natural, adopted, or stepchild) who is less than 25 years of age.

  •  You may continue to be eligible through the end of the semester in which you turn 25 OR the receipt of your first bachelor's degree, whichever occurs first.
  • You must have been a dependent of the veteran at the time of death or injury or within five years subsequent to the injury.
  • Complete and submit all requested eligibility information.

Renewal Students

Continue to meet the eligibility requirements for initial students, AND

Maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 and otherwise maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined by the school.

How much can I receive, and when will I receive my award?

Your maximum grant amount each semester will be the sum of the following:

  • The lesser of the actual tuition charged for the number of hours in which you are enrolled OR the amount of tuition charged a Missouri resident enrolled in the same number of hours at the University of Missouri Columbia.
  • An allowance of up to $2,000 per semester for room and board; and
  • The lesser of the actual cost for your books OR $500.
  • For example: If the tuition at your school is $4,000, the tuition at the University of Missouri is $3,000, and your books cost $450, the maximum amount you would be eligible to receive would be $5,450.

    $3,000 tuition (the lesser of $4,000 and $3,000)
    $2,000 maximum room and board allowance (or the actual may be less)
    $   450 books (the lesser of $500 and $450)
    $5,450 maximum award per semester

If you transfer to a different school, your award amount may change based on the tuition at the school to which you transfer.

Awards are provided based on funding availability up to the 25 student limit. Renewal students and students with the earliest application received dates have priority. Students who cannot be paid because funds are not available or the 25 student limit has been reached will be placed on a waiting list.

At the beginning of each semester, your school will verify your eligibility. The verification process takes about three weeks. Once your eligibility is verified, the MDHE will send your award to your school.  Generally fall payments will be sent in mid September and spring payments will be sent by early February. Awards are not available during summer terms and must be received in the academic year in which they are offered.

How can I apply?

Download and complete the Wartime Veteran’s Survivors Grant Program Application.Return the completed application to: Missouri Department of Higher Education, Attn: Wartime Veteran’s Survivors Grant, P.O. Box 1469, Jefferson City, MO 65102-1469.

There is no application deadline; however, early submission of the completed application is encouraged since the number of recipients is limited. Some sections of the application must be completed by a third party.  Read the application instructions carefully to ensure all sections are completed by the appropriate party when required based on whether you are an initial, renewal, or transfer student.

How will I know if I am eligible?

The MDHE will provide notice to you of your eligibility. The school you are attending determines final eligibility at the time the grant funds are requested each semester.

How do I renew my award?

The MDHE sends applications to renewal students in late spring or early summer each year. You can also download the applicationor contact the MDHE for an application at (800) 473-6757, option 4.

The grant may be renewed annually until you complete your first bachelor’s degree or, if you are the veteran’s child, through the semester in which you turn 25 years of age.

How do I transfer my award?

You may transfer your eligibility to any participating school. If you choose to transfer to a different participating Missouri institution between semesters, you must complete another application. Your award amount may change as a result of the transfer.