The Proprietary School Certification Program serves as the MDHE's clearinghouse for information about closed Missouri postsecondary schools. We receive many inquiries from, or on behalf of, students that attended schools that have since closed, and we strive to maintain accurate information regarding where the records are stored. Below are some frequently asked questions about school closure.

I cannot seem to contact the school I attended. I do not know if it is closed but I cannot find them listed anywhere. What should I do?
Contact the MDHE. While the school might be closed, there are a number of other possibilities. Your school might have changed its name or location, maybe more than once. Sometimes, two schools merge into one and assume a different name. Occasionally, a school will close its postsecondary programs but continue to operate as a different type of education institution. While we may not be able to always find the school you attended, we maintain information about these types of changes and often can point you in the right direction.

I need copies of my student records (transcript) from a Missouri school that is now closed. How do I get copies of those records?
Give us a call or email us! While we cannot assure that the records are available, we strive to maintain an accurate and up-to-date listing of who students must contact in order to get copies of their records. Keep in mind, we only have information about schools located in Missouri. If you attended a school in another state, you need to contact the education agency in that state. We can assist you with identifying the best contact person.

In some instances, the MDHE has the records on site and we can respond directly to your request. If we are storing the records, you will need to submit a signed written request in order to receive a copy. For others, the records are stored at another school within the state. In that case, we can provide you with the most up-to-date contact information. Regardless of where your records are stored, you will need to know the name of the institution you attended, your name at the time of attendance, and the dates you attended. In some cases, it may be helpful to have your Social Security number and the program of instruction you took.

Information on Missouri institutions that closed prior to 1985 (that is, prior to the creation of the proprietary school certification program), is often very limited or nonexistent. In many cases, these schools closed without any notification to the MDHE or to other higher education agencies. In such cases, we have no way of knowing how or if those records were preserved. However, we would encourage you to contact us just in case we have some information. In addition, we would be happy to provide you with written confirmation that the records are not available, if we can determine that fact.

Is there a fee for my student records?
Effective February 28, 2013, the MDHE charges a fee of $10 per copy of your student records. Payment must be via check or money order and be made payable to the Missouri Department of Higher Education-Proprietary. Do not submit payment until directed to do so by the MDHE.

What happens to the student records from schools that close?
Since 1985, Missouri statutes have required that private career schools and other institutions that are approved to operate by the MDHE must provide for the permanent storage of the records of students that attended the institution. In general, arrangements are made with another school to take the records and preserve them. In some cases, the MDHE has taken possession of the records and is serving as the record custodian.

For higher education institutions that are not subject to those requirements, the MDHE attempts to assist with the storage and preservation of student records and to serve as a conduit for information and assistance to the institution and students.

I need a copy of my financial aid transcript from a school that is now closed. How do I get copies of those records?
If you attended a school that is now closed and you need a financial aid transcript to qualify for federal aid at a school you want to attend, the school you wish to attend should send a Financial Aid Transcript request form to the following address:

Federal Request Information Center
P.O. Box 4129
Iowa City, Iowa 52244

You should also write to the Federal Student Aid Information Center at the above address if you have additional questions. Be prepared to provide the name and address of the school, the dates you attended, your name, and your address and a telephone number where you can be reached during the day. You may also call the center at (800) 433-3243.

The school I am attending is closing. What should I do?
Missouri statutes require that schools certified to operate by the MDHE must provide enrolled students with the opportunity to complete their program of instruction (either at the closing school or at another school in the area) if they close. If such arrangements cannot be made, the school must provide the student with a refund.

Missouri does not have a tuition protection fund that provides for the refund of tuition in the case of school closure. As a consequence, the school must make any refunds directly to the student.

If the school you are attending is closing, work closely with school officials in order to ensure that you get the benefit of any opportunities to complete your training.