Your 10th Grade Year
During your sophomore year in high school you should continue to follow the recommended core curriculum for Missouri high school students, and take courses such as:
- English composition
- American history
- Foreign language
It is also a good idea to become involved in school- or community-based extracurricular activities that interest you and/or enable you to better explore your career interests. Extracurricular activities can also help you begin to build a resume of experience, which may help you later when you begin to apply to postsecondary schools.
Other things you can do during your sophomore year in high school include:
- Begin looking through college catalogs and research financial aid information.
- Meet with your career/guidance counselor to discuss college options and their requirements.
- Develop a high school curriculum plan that includes college prep courses and any potential Advanced Placement credit opportunities.
- Take the ACT test.
- Take the Preliminary Scholastic Assessment Test/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT). If you have difficulty paying the registration fee, see your career/guidance counselor about a possible fee waiver.
- Visit colleges and talk to students. Summer vacation is a great time to visit college campuses.
- Get a summer job or internship to save money for college.