Journey to College
Higher education has never been more important. By 2020, approximately 66 percent of all jobs in Missouri will require some form of postsecondary education – a professional certificate or a two-year, four-year or advanced degree.
The Missouri Department of Higher Education’s Journey to College initiative works to increase college access and affordability and help Missouri students plan for the future. Journey to College includes outreach programs, publications, social media, presentations, and training.
Three Journey to College outreach programs focus on helping students prepare for college:
- Apply Missouri - helps students find the “best fit” for higher education and provides time during the school day for seniors to submit college applications.
- FAFSA Frenzy - provides free professional assistance to help students and their families submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
- Decision Day - encourages seniors to finalize their plans for the future and celebrates their decision to attend college or enter the military.
Missouri high schools participating in all three programs will receive a plaque of recognition for that year and an individualized outcome report comparing high school data to statewide outcomes. Journey to College information for students and parents is located at dhe.mo.gov/ppc/students/journeytocollegeforstudents.php.
Free publications for students and their families offer information about planning and paying for college. Publications include:
- The Missouri Source
- It’s Never too Early to Plan for College
- Planning for Financial Success
- College Portfolio
- Monthly Reminder
- Journey to College Senior Year Checklist magnet
For more information about how to order Journey to College publications, visit dhe.mo.gov/publications.php.
Presentations for college fairs and financial aid events
Customized presentations are available for Missouri high school counselors and community groups planning college fairs and financial aid events. To arrange for a speaker, complete the online Speaking Event Form. Topics include planning and paying for college, state and federal financial aid programs, and financial literacy topics.
The Journey to College blog provides students with information about planning and paying for college in a digital format.
Follow Journey to College on Facebook or Twitter for education information geared towards students and their families.