Q. How many degrees were conferred by public and independent institutions in 2005-2006?

A. 10,205 associate degrees
33,407 bachelor's degrees
16,134 master's degrees
2,448 professional/doctorate degrees

(back to top)

Q. How many high school students took AP exams?

A. 2006 - 11,501
2005 - 10,467
2004 - 9,549
2003 - 8,847
2002 - 8,189

(back to top)

Q. How many independent colleges and universities are in Missouri?

A. 25

Q. How many proprietary/private career schools are in Missouri?

A. 140

Q. How many public four-year colleges and universities are in Missouri?

A. 10 (13 campuses)

Q. How many public two-year institutions are there in Missouri?

A. 14 (21 campuses)

Q. How much were the total appropriations for higher education during recent fiscal years (FY)?

A. FY 2006 - $1,046,222,834
FY 2005 - $1,049,119,532
FY 2004 - $1,027,981,603
FY 2003 - $1,096,527,206
FY 2002 - $1,154,276,922

(back to top)

Q. Is the MDHE the same as MOHELA?

A. No, the MDHE is the state-designated guaranty agency. MOHELA is the state-designated secondary market.

(back to top)

Q. What is college?

A. College is education that you can get after you graduate from high school. College prepares you for working in a certain field or area. You can go to a two- or four-year institution or a career school. Your choices really are endless!

(back to top)

Q. What is financial aid?

A. Financial aid is money to help you pay for college. Financial aid is either given to you as a gift (scholarships) or loaned to you (student loans) so you have to pay it back.

(back to top)

Q. What is the FAFSA?

A. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is a federal form that everyone must fill out if he/she wants to be considered for federal student assistance. Student financial assistance awards in Missouri are also based on information supplied on the FAFSA.

(back to top)

Q. What is the graduation rate for public colleges and universities?

A. The three-year rate for 2003 freshmen at public two-year institutions was 22%. The six-year rate for 2000 freshmen at public four-year institutions was 62%.

(back to top)

Q. When and where can I get a copy of the FAFSA?

A. FAFSAs are typically available in December. FAFSAs cannot be submitted until after January 1 of the calendar year in which you want to apply for financial aid. You are encouraged to fill out the FAFAS online at www.fafsa.ed.gov.

(back to top)

Q. When should I apply for college?

A. Typically, students must apply for college in the winter or early spring of their senior year of high school. Note: To receive email reminders about steps to take to prepare for college, sign-up here.

(back to top)

Q. Where do I get a Financial Aid Transcript for a school I attended that has closed?

A. You may send a written request to the Financial Aid Transcript Federal Request Information Center, P.O. Box 4129, Iowa City, IA 52244.

(back to top)

Q. Where should I go to college?

A. That is entirely up to you! You can go to a two- or four-year institution or a career school. Your choices really are endless! Some things you might want to consider when choosing the right school for you:

  1. Does it offer a program in the area of study that you want to pursue?
  2. Do you want to go to school close to home or away?
  3. What type of financial aid package is available from the school?
  4. Plan a visit to the school to get a tour and see if you like it. Remember to ask questions!

(back to top)

Q. Who should go to college?

A. Anyone who wants to! College gives many people a chance to achieve their goals and everyone should have an opportunity to attend if they want to.

(back to top)

Q. Why am I considered a dependent student if I have lived on my own for more than a year?

A. Per federal regulations, the criteria for independent students are:

  • 24-years-old by December 31 of the award year
  • Orphan or ward of the court
  • Veteran of the Armed Forces
  • Legal dependents other than a spouse
  • Graduate or professional student
  • Married student

NOTE: U.S. Department of Education policy on dependency overrides has become significantly more stringent. It is no longer permissible to classify an otherwise dependent student independent based solely on the fact that the student supports him or herself.

(back to top)

Q. Why should I go to college?

A. In today's world, more and more jobs are requiring at least some college education. And, research shows that the more education you have, the more money you will likely make.

(back to top)