When applying for a student loan as a transfer student, it is important to keep in mind that if you received a student loan at a prior school, you will not automatically receive a student loan at your new school.

If you completed the FAFSA during the current academic year and you decide to transfer, your new school may require you to provide a copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR) - even if you did not receive financial aid at your previous school.

When you transfer, remember to do the following:

At your old school: Cancel any outstanding loan disbursements when you withdraw.

At your new school: Inform them about the school you previously attended and provide your SAR. Additionally, if you have not previously signed a Federal Direct Loan MPN, you will be required to do so at your new school. All federal students loans first disbursed on or after July 1, 2010 must be made by the federal government.