The U.S. Department of Education provides a variety of financial assistance programs to help students and their families pay for college. To be eligible for Federal Student Aid programs, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. Final eligibility is determined by institutions prior to the student receiving their payment. Federal Student Aid may be received through grants, loans and work-study. These programs are summarized here.

If you need more information, contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) or visit


Federal Pell Grants

  • Need-based financial aid
  • A grant awarded to only undergraduate students who have not yet earned a bachelor's degree or professional degree.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

  • Need-based financial aid.
  • A grant awarded to undergraduate students with exceptional financial need.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant

  • A grant available to students who are not eligible for a Federal Pell Grant, but whose parent or guardian was member of the U.S. Armed Forces and died as a result of services performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2011.

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH Grant)

  • A grant available to students planning to teach full time for four years within eight year of graduating.
  • If the teaching requirements are not met, the grant awards may be converted to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan.


Federal Direct Loan Program


Federal Perkins Loan Program

  • Need-based financial aid.
  • A school-based loan available to undergraduate and graduate students with exceptional financial need.


Federal Work-Study

  • Need-based financial aid.
  • Part-time employment for undergraduate, graduate or professional students with financial need.