Citizens of:

  • The 50 States
  • The District of Columbia
  • Puerto Rico
  • The U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Guam
  • The Northern Mariana Islands

U.S. Nationals:

  • All U.S. Citizens
  • Natives of American Samoa (not considered a U.S. Citizen)
  • Natives of Swain's Island (not considered a U.S. Citizen)


A U.S. permanent resident is a non-citizen who is legally permitted to live and work in the U.S. permanently.


This includes:

  • Palau
  • The Marshall Islands
  • The Federated States of Micronesia

These students are eligible only for the following programs:

  • Pell Grants
  • Federal Work-study
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant


This includes the following categories:

  • Refugees-This is a temporary status, but refugees can apply for permanent residence.
  • Person granted asylum-These non-citizens are given employment authorization for one year; at the end of that year they are eligible to apply for permanent residence. Asylum status continues unless revoked by Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS), formerly Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), or until permanent resident status is granted.
  • Conditional entrants-Refugees who entered the U.S. under the seventh preference category of P.L. 89-236 or whose status was adjusted to lawful permanent-resident alien under that category. Note: BCIS stopped using this category on March 31, 1980.
  • Persons paroled into the U.S. for at least one year-These individuals must also provide evidence (such as having filed a valid permanent resident application) from the BCIS that they are in the U.S. for other than a temporary purpose and intend to become a citizen or permanent resident.
  • Cuban-Haitian entrants


  • Family Unity Status-Individuals who have been granted relief from deportation under the Family Unity Program.
  • Temporary Residents-Individuals allowed to live and work in the U.S. under the Legalization or Special Agricultural Worker program.
  • Individuals with Nonimmigrant Visas-Those with work visas, and students, visitors, and foreign government officials.


Permanent Resident

  • Permanent Resident Card or Resident Alien Card ("green card")
  • Alien Registration Receipt Card
  • Arrival/Departure Record (Form I-94) with one of the following endorsements:
    • "Processed for I-551. Temporary Evidence of Lawful Admission for Permanent Residence. Valid until [Date]. Employment Authorized."
    • "Temporary form I-551. Admission for permanent residence at [Port] on [Date] verified. [Signature and title of issuing officer]" This I-94 will contain the individual's photo and an INS seal over the photo and stamp.


  • Arrival/Departure Record (Form I-94) with a stamp reading either:
    • "Admitted as a Refugee pursuant to Section 207 of the Act. If you depart the United States you will need prior permission to return. Employment Authorized."
    • "Status changed to refugee pursuant to Section 207(c)(2) of the Immigration Nationality Act, on [Date]. Employment Authorized."
  • Unexpired Refugee Travel Document (Form I-571)


  • Arrival/Departure Record (Form I-94) with a stamp reading "Asylum status granted pursuant to section 208, INS. Valid to [Date]. Employment Authorized."

Conditional Entrants

  • Arrival/Departure Record (Form I-94) granted before March 31, 1980, with a stamp indicating that the student has been admitted to the U.S. as a conditional entrant.


  • Arrival/Departure Record (Form I-94) with a stamp indicating that the student has been paroled into the U.S. for at least one year, with a date that has not yet expired.

Cuban-Haitian Entrants

  • Arrival/Departure Record (Form I-94) with a stamp indicating that the student has been classified as a "Cuban-Haitian Entrant (Status Pending). Reviewable January 15, 1981. Employment authorized until January 15, 1981." This document is valid even if the expiration date has passed.